13 January 2014

Burning the Midnight Oil: Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate

Probably the brand's most highly-lauded product, and my very first and still favourite Kiehl's purchase, Midnight Recovery Concentrate is one skincare item that really does exactly what it says on the tin, or rather beautiful blue glass bottle, much to my complete amazement.

When I ambled upon Kiehl's first it was through looking for a reputable but gentle skin care brand as a Christmas present for my sister, who has sensitive skin. I remembered hearing a lot of good things about Kiehl's so I decided to buy her one of their start up packs to see if she liked the brand. But after I'd paid, the sales assistant picked out a few samples for my skin and it was then I tried Midnight Recovery Concentrate for the first time. My skin was in a bad way at the time, the worst it had ever been. I'd been extremely ill for the six months preceding that point and by the time I realised how dull and rough it had become I had no idea how to fix it.

Kiehl's are very clever with their samples. They don't spend millions on advertising, or a single cent for that matter, but so confident they are in their product and good name since they established first in New York in 1851 that they have the most generous sampling policy I've ever come across; they're renowned for it. And they are completely right to do this. The little sample I got of the Midnight Recovery Concentrate, which lasted almost a week, came with the instructions to apply 2-3 drops per night for younger looking skin by morning. Queue major skepticism on my behalf; I'd really never come across a beauty product you could really tell if there was a difference in your over any short period of time, not to speak of overnight. But all reservations were left at the door the next morning because my skin had improved a shocking amount the next morning. It was so much softer and clearer, I couldn't believe it.

The oil contains 99.8% naturally derived ingredients and is paraben-free. Its goal is to replenish skin with moisture, which causes so many skin problems from premature aging to flaking and tightness. It's very easily absorbed into your skin so by the time you sleep your pillow shouldn't become an oily reciprocal! The ingredients are Squalane, Evening Primrose Oil, Omega-6 Fatty Acids and Essential Oils including Lavendar, which is so soothing to rub in just before sleep.

I've been using it religiously for a year and a half now and I can honestly say it's only one of two skincare potions I could really call wonder products! The other being Trilogy Rosehip Oil which I will get to at another time. But those two products saved my skin and I will be forever recommending them to everyone. It's only when you find yourself with suddenly temperamental skin you realise how good one product is over another. Those two brands in particular are great from anyone recovering from illness, surgery, or even for a new mum.

When it came to the eye cream I have to say I was slightly more dubious, despite the effect of the oil. The reviews I read weren't too positive about it so I held back and stuck to their Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado, which is perfectly gentle and very hydrating. However, I was recently given the sample of Midnight Recovery Eye in the picture above and was in fact quite impressed. I certainly wasn't expecting miracles but it's actually really lovely to apply and feels extremely soothing on. It feels like it's pretty perfect for tired puffy eyes. The bottle calls it "A restorative concentrate of botanicals for fresher, younger looking eyes by morning" and it feels, at the very least, that this cream is wonderfully soothing and a real treat to pop on just before you go to sleep after a long day or week. It's certainly not the wonder product its sister concentrate is but it's still a soothing treat for your eyes.

I was surprised how much I liked Midnight Recovery Eye and, if you have any skin stress, dehydration, or if your skin isn't behaving itself, these two products, but especially Midnight Recovery Concentrate are really such a necessary treat for your skin. I'd also like to point out, you really only need a couple of drops a night so the bottle above lasts about 9-12 months which means it's not the most expensive indulgence in the world either for how long it lasts.

Finally, as you may see in the photo above, Kiehl's, ever an altruistic company, have teamed up with Alicia Keys recently for a campaign called Keep a Child Alive. If you're going to buy this product, I'd recommend picking up a limited edition Keep A Child Alive bottle as Kiehl's are donating the net profits up to $200,000 to the Alicia Keys Keep a Child Alive Foundation which goes towards children and families directly affected by HIV. A very worthy cause indeed, especially when you're getting a product as great as this to boot!

Midnight Recovery Concentrate (€42.50 for 30ml) and Midnight Recovery Eye (€29) are available from Kiehl's Wicklow St., Dundrum Town Centre and Arnotts on Henry Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment